CETNS Board of Management:
|Billy Quane||Patron Nominee & Chairperson|
|Margaret Condon||Patron Nominee|
|Anne Gunnell||Parent Nominee|
|Kevin Quinn||Parent Nominee|
|Aedín Ní Thuathail||Principal Teacher & Secretary|
|Caitriona O’Sullivan||Community Nominee|
|Stephen Kenny||Community Nominee|
To contact the BOM please write to Secretary of the Board of Management, Castleknock Educate Together National School, Beechpark Avenue, Castleknock, Dublin 15.
Updates from the Board are sent out via the children’s schoolbags.
June 19th 2017
The Board met on June 19th 2017 and the following items were among those discussed:
- Policies: The updated Garda Vetting Policy was reviewed and ratified. It will be posted on the school website shortly. We also discussed some other policies that will be reviewed and ratified in September.
- After School Activities: The Board reviewed ASA applications and approved for September 2017.
- Mainstream Swimming: After consideration, the Board decided not to go ahead with mainstream swimming for 2017/2018. Staff will be meeting during the first term of 2017/2018 to discuss mainstream swimming options for 2018/2019 (and beyond) & to plan for future roll out of a swim programme for the school. Parental feedback will be sought as part of these meetings.
- School Garden: We discussed the school garden and a number of options for improving the grounds were discussed. A proposal for improvements will be made to the Board next term and we hope to implement said plans soon after. We will be requesting the help of the Green Team and parents with this work.
- Posts of Responsibility: We reviewed and approved the proposal for posts of responsibility for the school year 2017/2018.
15 May 2017
The Board of Management met on May 15th and the following were among the items discussed:
- Financial Report: The Board chose a date to present the 2015/16 Financial Report to parents. The date chosen is May 30th at 7:30pm.
- Resource Contributions: Resource contributions continue to be collected and the Board thanks those who have already paid. Payments can be made via https://www.aladdin.ie/p/12451037 or at the school office. We encourage those with outstanding payments to pay as soon as possible.
- Resource Contributions: The Board discussed increasing resource money payments per child, due to continued shortfall, but ultimately decided to leave it at 100 euro. This payment covers (in part) items including book rental, art and craft supplies, homework journals, sports equipment, musical instruments.
- Pupil Insurance: In lieu of an increase in the resource contribution per child, the Board is exploring making Personal Pupil Accident Insurance an optional additional payment for parents.
- School Calendar: The school calendar for 2017/2018 has been agreed and will be posted on the school website.
- Spending: Baking is back on track for all classes as a new cooker has been installed in the staffroom.
20 March 2017
The Board of Management met on Monday March 20th 2017 and the following were among the items discussed
2015/2016 Financial Report: The financial report for the school year 2015/2016 is being completed by the accountant and we plan to present this to the parent body during the Summer term.
Green Team: The Board recognized the hard work done by the Green Team towards our 7th Green Flag. Funding for the replacement of the poly-tunnel plastic sheeting (which was damaged during one of the recent storms) was approved.
Resource Contributions: Resource contributions continue to be collected and the Board thanks those who have already paid. Payments can be made via https://www.aladdin.ie/p/12451037 or at the school office.
Summer Fair: The Board agreed the Summer Fair date of Saturday June 11th, as requested by the Summer Fair Committee.
Day of Celebration and Graduation Contributions: The Board agreed contributions to both the Second Class Day of Celebration and the Sixth Class Graduation.
Policy Matters: Feedback received from staff and parents re the recent Health and Safety Policy Draft is being reviewed and incorporated into the document. A final version will be ratified by the Board in due course.
Tech Week: The Board discussed a ceremony to mark our recent Digital School of Distinction Award. The Board requested that the ICT subcommittee highlight the many ways technology is used to enhance learning within the school and share with parents. We are targeting a date post tech week.
14th November 2016
The Board of Management met on Monday November 14th 2016 and the following were among the items discussed
- Resource Money: Resource payments for 2016/2017 have been received from the parents or guardians of over 85% of the children in the school. The Board is grateful to all those who have paid and encourages those who have not to do so via https://www.aladdin.ie/p/12451037 or at the school office. Resource monies are an essential part of the funding of the school and cover pupil personal accident insurance, art materials, homework journals, library books, school book rental scheme and other expenditure related to the education of all children in the school.
- Sponsored Walk: Over €5,500 was raised from the sponsored walk. The walk was viewed as a source of pride to the school, with children, teachers and many parents/guardians adding fun to the occasion by dressing up in Halloween costume. The Board extends its thanks to all those involved, including the sponsors for giving so generously.
- PTA & Parent Body Communication: In light of comments arising from the recent PTA AGM, all Board members agreed that the Board needs to work more closely with the parent body and are fully committed to achieving this goal. Arrangements for a meeting between the officers of the PTA and the members of the Board are in progress.
- Staff Communication: The Board discussed ways to strengthen relationships between the Board and the staff within the school and will begin working with staff and the In-School Management team over the coming months.
- Policy Matters: The Board approved and ratified the e-learning policy. This policy will be available on the school website shortly. The Board will be reviewing the Child Protection Policy and Anti-Bullying Policy in the near future.
- Garda Vetting: As part of the forthcoming review of the Child Protection Policy, the Board will look to bring clarity to the requirements for vetting, taking into consideration changes outlined in Department of Education & Skills Circular 0031/2016. In the meantime, we encourage all parents who wish to volunteer in the school to get vetted – and we have enabled eVetting to make the process easier. Start by visiting the office.
- Digital Schools of Distinction Award: Over the past number of years the school has invested in upgrading its IT equipment. This was undertaken after consultation with teachers, parents and children throughout the school. In the 18 months since the new equipment was installed, teachers have put a lot of effort into integrating it into their teaching methodologies. This hard work is paying off. At the end of November, the school will be undergoing the validation step to becoming a Digital School of Distinction. This is a tribute to the work done by all in the school. The Board would like to thank the teachers for their ongoing efforts in this area, parents/guardians for all their hard work in fund-raising and the students for embracing technology so enthusiastically.
May 18th 2016
The Board of Management met on 18th May 2016 and topics discussed included the following:
- The School Ethos Picnic
- The Summer Fair
- Staffing and Resourcing
- The school building and grounds
- School finances
- After school activities
View previous BOM Updates